Makes: 12 Rolo Cupcakes Oven: 180 °C / 350 °F
Preparation Time: 40 – 50 minutes Baking Time: 10 – 15 minutes
|125||g||Butter / Margarine|
|250||ml||Castor sugar (1 cup)|
|60||ml||lukewarm water (¼ cup)|
|180||g||Cake flour (2 x 250 ml / 2 cups)|
|A pinch of salt|
|10||g||Anchor Instant Yeast (1 packet)|
|60||ml||Milk (¼ cup)|
|5||ml||Vanilla essence (1 tsp)|
|3||Packets of Rolo Chocolates – 12 for
the batter and 12 to decorate
|30||ml||Cold water (2 tbsp)|
|500||g||Icing sugar (2 x 250 ml / 2 cups)|
|5||ml||Vanilla essence (1 tsp )|
|Food colouring (white, pink and blue)|
- Beat the butter and castor sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs to the creamed mixture, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Mix the cake flour and salt together. Add the Anchor Instant Yeast and mix.
- Add the water and milk to the egg mixture and beat. Fold in the flour mixture until mixture is evenly mixed through and smooth.
- Spoon the batter into 12 paper cups, filling each of them ¼ full.
- Place a Rolo in the middle of the batter and continue filling with the rest of the batter, until each is filled ¾ way.
- Cover the cupcakes with a plastic sheet and allow to rise in a warm place, about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 °C / 350 °F for 10 – 15 minutes, until light brown.
- For the icing: Beat the butter for the icing, add the cold water and the icing sugar and beat until the mixture is smooth. Add the vanilla and mix until blended. Divide the icing into 3 bowls. Colour a bowl of icing with a few drops of pink and the other with a few drops of blue colouring.
- Place a star nozzle into 3 piping bags and fill each with a different colour. Pipe a swirl of icing onto each of the cupcakes, using the different colours – 4 cupcakes per colour.
- Top each cupcake with a chocolate Rolo and serve.