Makes: 48 Crumpets Oil Temperature: 160 ºC
Preparation Time: 1 hour 30 minutes Frying Time: 30 minutes
|500||g||Cake flour ( 4 x 250 ml / 4 cups )|
|10||ml||Salt ( 2 tsp )|
|60||ml||Sugar ( 4 tbsp )|
|10||g||Anchor Instant Yeast ( 1 packet )|
|125||ml||Warm milk ( ½ cup )|
|500||ml||Cold water ( 2 cups )|
|30||ml||Oil ( 2 tbsp )|
|30||ml||Vinegar ( 2 tbsp )|
|3||ml||Bicarbonate of soda ( ½ tsp )|
|125||ml||Warm milk ( ½ cup )
Oil, to fry
The mixture can be placed in the fridge for 1 hour, before use, for a better texture. If in a hurry, it can be used immediately after knocking down. The mixture can very successfully be refrigerated for a week and used, as required.
- Mix the flour, salt and sugar together. Add the Anchor Instant Yeast and mix.
- Combine warm milk, water, oil and vinegar together.
- Dissolve the bicarbonate of soda in the warm milk and add to the first milk mixture. Mix through.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the flour mixture to form a batter. Mix well until the mixture is smooth. Cover with greased plastic and rise in a warm place for 20 minutes.
- Knock the batter down with a wooden spoon and should the mixture is too thick, add about 30 – 50 ml of water and stir the mixture through. For the Pancakes the mixture must be runny for the batter to run into the fry pan – without difficulty. For the Crumpets and the Waffles the mixture should be a little more firm to keep shape.
- Coat a fry pan with a little oil.
- Place spoonfuls of the knocked down batter into the fry pan. Fry until bubbles appear on the surface.
- Ease a lifter under each crumpet, lift and flip over.
- Fry until golden brown and lift onto a plate. Cover and keep warm.
- Serve the crumpets, drizzled with syrup and decorate with a sprig of mint.
Makes: 36 Pancakes
- Heat a little oil in a fry pan and pour spoonsful into the pan, turning and swivelling the pan for the batter to cover the surface.
- After a minute of frying start to loosen the edges of the batter with a lifter. Fry until bubbles appear and then ease the lifter under the pancake, lift and flip over. Fry until golden and lift onto a plate. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and cover with another plate, to keep warm.
- Repeat the process until the batter has been used.
- Roll up each pancake, drizzle with syrup and decorate with a sprig of mint, to serve.
Makes: 24 Waffles
- Heat a Waffle Iron and coat with a little oil.
- Spoon the batter into the waffle pan, making sure the surface is covered with enough batter.
- Close the lid and fry for about 5 – 7 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove and place onto a plate, cover and keep warm.
- Serve the Waffles drizzled with syrup and topped with
Ice Cream. Decorate with a sprig of mint.