Makes: 24 Mosbolletjies Oven: 180 °C / 350 °F
Preparation Time: 1 hour 30 minutes Baking Time: 20 – 25 minutes
||Cake flour ( 3 x 250 ml / 3 cups )
||Salt ( 1 tsp )
||Sugar ( 4 tbsp )
||Margarine ( 4 tbsp )
||Anchor Instant Yeast ( 1 packet )
||Lukewarm milk ( ½ cup )
||Large egg, beaten
||Lukewarm water ( ⅓ cup )
||Sugar ( 1 cup )
||Water ( ½ cup )
- Mix all the dry ingredients together and rub the margarine into the cake flour with the fingertips. Add the Anchor Instant Yeast and mix.
- Mix lukewarm milk and beaten egg together and add enough lukewarm water to form a soft dough.
- Knead the dough well until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Place on a lightly floured surface and cover with greased plastic and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Knock the dough down. Cut into 24 equal pieces
and shape each piece into a ball.
- Place the balls in rows, so that they touch
each other, into 2 greased bread pans. Cover
with greased plastic and allow to rise in a
warm place until double the size, about
20 – 30 minutes.
- To make the glaze, dissolve the sugar in the
water and stir over low heat until slightly
- Bake the Mosbolletjies in a
preheated oven at
180 °C / 350 °F for
20 – 25 minutes, or until
- Brush with glaze.