Makes: 1 Cake Oven: 180 °C / 350 °F
Preparation Time: 2 hours Baking Time: 35 – 40 minutes
|420||g||Cake Flour ( 3½ Cups )|
|3||ml||Salt ( ½ tsp )|
|125||ml||Sugar ( ½ Cup )|
|5||ml||Bicarbonate of Soda ( 1 tsp )|
|5||ml||Mixed spice ( 1 tsp )|
|5||ml||Cinnamon ( 1 tsp )|
|3||ml||Nutmeg ( ½ tsp )|
|10||g||Anchor Instant Yeast ( 1 packet )|
|250||ml||Lukewarm water ( 1 Cup )|
|60||ml||Brandy ( ¼ Cup )|
|2||Large eggs, beaten|
|5||ml||Almond Essence ( 1 tsp )|
|60||ml||Mixed peel ( ¼ Cup ) or mixed fruit cake mix|
|75||g||Seedless raisins ( 125ml ) and chopped nuts
( 125ml ), cherries and glacé fruit to decorate, sugar water glaze to brush
Sugar Water Glaze
Mix 125 ml (½ Cup) sugar with 60 ml (¼ Cup) water.
Bring to the boil. Cool and use to glaze.
- Mix flour, salt, sugar, bicarbonate of soda and spices together and rub the margarine in with the fingertips.
Add the Anchor Instant Yeast and mix.
- Mix the lukewarm water, beaten egg and almond essence together and add to the flour mixture to form a batter.
Mix the dough well for 5 minutes until well developed.
- Cover with greased plastic and leave to rest for 10 minutes.
- Knock the dough down whilst adding the mixed peel, raisins and nuts. Work until the fruit is distributed throughout the dough.
- Place the dough into a greased 20 cm-round-cake tin, cover with greased plastic and rise in a warm place for
25 – 30 minutes. Decorate with nuts, cherries and glacé fruit.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 ºC / 350 ºF for 35 – 40 minutes, or until golden brown. Brush top and sides with a sugar water glaze. Cool and cover well with glad wrap.