Makes: 10 Oven: 180 °C / 350 °F
Preparation Time: 2 hours Baking Time: 20 – 25 minutes
|500||g||Cake flour ( 4 x 250 ml / 4 cups )|
|5||ml||Salt ( 1 tsp )|
|60||ml||Sugar ( 4 tbsp )|
|3||ml||Mixed spice ( ½ tsp )|
|3||ml||Nutmeg ( ½ tsp )|
|5||ml||Cinnamon ( 1 tsp )|
|10||g||Anchor Instant Yeast ( 1 packet )|
|155||ml||Warm milk ( ½ cup + 2 tbsp )|
|1||Large egg, beaten|
|125||g||Lukewarm water ( ½ cup )|
|150||g||Chocolate chips ( 250ml/1 cup )
Dried fruit cake mix ( 250ml/1 cup )
Beaten egg, to brush
Sugar Water Glaze
Mix 250 ml (1 cup) sugar and 125 ml (½ cup) water together in a saucepan and boil over low heat for about 5 minutes, stirring continuously.
Chocolate Glacé Icing
Mix 250 ml (1 cup) icing sugar and 45 ml (3 tbsp) milk or water together to form a smooth, dripping consistency. Melt 125 g of white baking chocolate and add to the mixture. Place immediately into a piping bag with a medium nozzle and pipe a cross over each bun. Work quickly before the chocolate sets.
- Mix the flour, salt, sugar and cinnamon together. Add the Anchor Instant Yeast and mix.
- Melt the margarine in the warm milk and add cold water and eggs.
- Add the milk mixture to the dry ingredients and mix to form a soft and pliable dough.
- Knead the dough well for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic. Cover with greased plastic and rest for 10 min.
- Knock the dough down and work the chocolate chips and dried fruit in whilst kneading. Cover and leave to rest for another 5 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 10 large pieces (body), 10 smaller pieces (head) and cut or shape 20 bunny ears with a cutter.
- Roll each piece into a round bun and place on a greased baking tray. Cover with lightly greased plastic and rise in a warm place, about
20 – 25 minutes. Place on a separate lightly greased baking tray, cover with a lightly greased plastic and rise in a warm place, about 7 minutes.
- Brush the buns lightly with beaten egg and bake in a preheated oven at 180 °C / 350 °F for 15 – 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Do the same with the bunny ears. Open the oven after 2 – 3 minutes and press the dough flat – shaping the bunny ear. Use an oven glove to prevent burning. Bake further and open oven once more and press down. Bake until golden brown.
- Glaze the buns with sugar water, whilst hot.
Icing – white or coloured, a piping bag & small, dark sweetie balls for eyes.
- Cut a small slice of the large ball – on the top, slightly off centre. Pipe with icing and the smaller ball on top. Hold for a few seconds until secure. Pipe icing in place for the ears and stick them in place.
- Pipe two little spots for eyes and stick sweetie balls in place. Pipe a spot for the nose and stick a sweetie ball in place. Pipe whiskers under the nose.