Makes: 2 French Breads Oven: 220 °C / 410 °F
Preparation Time: 1 hour 30 minutes Baking Time: 25 – 30 minutes
|500||g||White bread flour ( 4 x 250 ml / 4 cups )|
|5||ml||Salt ( 1 tsp )|
|10||g||Anchor Instant Yeast ( 1 packet )|
|310||ml||Lukewarm water ( ± 1⅓ cups )
Poppy or Sesame seeds, to sprinkle ( optional ) OR
Flour, to sprinkle ( optional )
- Mix the white bread flour and salt together. Add the Anchor Instant Yeast and mix.
- Add the lukewarm water to the flour mixture to form a soft dough.
- Knead the dough for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic, cover with a greased plastic and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Knock the dough down and divide into 2 equal pieces. Pat each into an oval shape. Fold the one end over and roll up.
Roll gently into a long strand, about 40 cm.
- Place onto a lightly floured baking tray, cover with a lightly greased plastic and allow to rise in a warm place for 25 – 30 minutes. Brush with water and sprinkle with seeds or dust with flour. Cut slanted slits over the top or cut 3 slits lengthwise.
- Place a small ovenproof dish, filled with water, at the bottom of the oven. Bake in a preheated oven at 220 °C / 410 °F for
25 – 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
Placing a bowl of water at the bottom of the oven
creates steam, which gives extra volume,
a soft texture and a crisp crust.