Makes: 2 Raisin Breads Oven: 180 °C / 350 °F
Preparation Time: 1 hour 40 minutes Baking Time: 25 – 30 minutes
|500||g||Cake flour ( 4 x 250 ml / 4 cups )|
|5||ml||Salt ( 2 tsp )|
|60||ml||Sugar ( 4 tbsp )|
|60||g||Margarine ( 4 tbsp )|
|10||g||Anchor Instant Yeast ( 1 packet )|
|125||ml||Warm milk ( ½ cup )|
|60||ml||Cold water ( ¼ cup )|
|2||Large eggs, beaten|
|150||g||Seedless raisins ( 250 ml ), soaked in|
|warm water and drained|
|Milk, to brush|
|Sugar, to sprinkle|
- Mix the cake flour, salt and sugar together. Rub the margarine into the flour with the fingertips. Add the Anchor Instant Yeast and mix.
- Mix the warm milk, water and beaten eggs together and add to the flour mixture to form a soft dough. If the dough is too dry and firm, add about 10 – 20 ml extra water. The dough must be soft and pliable.
- Knead the dough well for 10 minutes, until smooth and elastic. Place the dough on a lightly floured surface, cover with greased plastic and leave to rest for 10 minutes.
- Knock the dough down, press flat and add the raisins. Work the raisins in until well distributed. Cover and rest for 5 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 2 equal pieces, roll out into a rectangle, about 20 cm long and the width of the pan.
- Roll the dough up in the width and place the roll, with the seal, towards the bottom into 2 lightly greased1-litre-bread pans.
- Cover with greased plastic and rise in a warm place for about 30 – 35 minutes.
- Brush with milk, sprinkle with sugar and bake in a preheated oven at 180 °C / 350 °F for 25 – 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
For a crunchy top crust – brush once
again with milk and sprinkle with sugar
after 10 minutes of baking. Continue
the baking as per the recipe.