Makes: 1 Chocolate Almond Twist Oven: 180 °C / 350 °F
Preparation Time: 1 hour 40 minutes Baking Time: 25 – 30 minutes
|240||g||Cake flour (2 x 250 ml / 2 cups)|
|5||ml||Salt (1 tsp)|
|5||ml||Sugar (1 tsp)|
|30||g||Margarine (2 tbsp)|
|10||g||Anchor Instant Yeast (1 packet)|
|80||ml||Lukewarm water (⅓ cup)|
|1||Large Egg (beaten)|
|1||Beaten egg, to brush|
|Soft margarine to spread|
|100||g||Baking chocolate (½ bar), grated|
|50||g||Flaked almonds (½ packet)|
Mix 100 g (250 ml / 1 cup) sugar and 125 ml (½ cup) water together in a saucepan and bring to the boil over a low heat for about 5 minutes, whilst stirring. Simmer for 5 minutes to thicken.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together and rub the margarine into the flour with the fingertips. Add the Anchor Instant Yeast and mix.
- Mix lukewarm milk and beaten egg together and add with enough lukewarm water to form a soft dough.
- Knead the dough well until smooth and shiny, about 10 minutes.
- Cover with greased plastic and leave to rest for 10 minutes.
- Knock the dough down and roll into a rectangle, 5 mm (¼ inch) thick. Spread a thin layer of soft margarine over the dough and sprinkle with grated chocolate and almonds.
- Roll up the dough starting with the wide side. Cut the dough in two, lengthwise, with a sharp knife. Turn each half, cut side up and carefully twist the two halves together. (Keep the cut side up to expose the filling). Shape into a ring and bring the two ends together – keeping the spiral appearance. Pinch the ends firmly together to seal.
- Place onto a greased baking tray, cover with greased plastic and allow to rise in a warm place until double in volume, about 25 – 30 minutes.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 °C / 350 °F for 25 – 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Brush with the glaze.