Makes: 12 Jam Doughnuts Oil Temperature: 160 °C
Preparation Time: 1 hour 30 minutes Frying Time: 45 minutes
|360||g||Cake flour ( 3 x 250 ml / 3 cups )|
|5||ml||Salt ( 1 tsp )|
|60||ml||Sugar ( 4 tbsp )|
|60||g||Margarine ( 4 tbsp )|
|10||g||Anchor Instant Yeast ( 1 packet )|
|325||ml||Lukewarm milk ( ± 1½ cups )|
|1||Large egg, beaten|
|145||ml||Lukewarm water ( ½ cup + 2 tsp )|
|750||ml||Oil for frying ( 1 x small bottle )|
Fillings and Toppings
Jam, to fill
Castor sugar, to coat
- Mix all the dry ingredients together and rub the margarine into the flour with the fingertips.
Add the Anchor Instant Yeast and mix
- Mix lukewarm milk and beaten egg together and add with enough lukewarm water to form a soft dough. Knead the dough well until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface, cover with greased plastic and leave to rest for 10 minutes.
- Knock the dough down, divide into 12 large OR 24 small pieces and shape each piece into a ball.
- Place the balls onto an oiled baking tray, cover with greased plastic and allow to rise in a warm place until double the size, about
20 – 30 minutes.
- Deep-fry the doughnuts in hot oil until golden brown. Remove from the oil and drain on brown paper or paper towel.
- Make a hole in the middle of each doughnut and fill the hole with two teaspoons of jam. Roll the doughnuts in sugar.