Makes: 8 Cold Meat Roll Oven: 200 °C / 400 °F
Preparation Time: 1 hour 30 minutes Baking Time: 20 – 25 minutes
|200||g||Cake flour ( 1 x 250 ml + 160 ml / 1⅔ cups )|
|130||g||Whole-wheat flour ( 1 x 250 ml / 1 cup )|
|5||ml||Salt ( 1 tsp )|
|5||ml||Sugar ( 1 tsp ) Pinch of cayenne pepper|
|10||g||Anchor Instant Yeast ( 1 packet )|
|150||g||Lukewarm water ( ½ cup + 2 tbsp ) (One third warm water and two thirds cold water)|
|1||Large egg, beaten
Beaten egg, to brush
Sesame seed, to sprinkle
|230||g||Cold meat, chopped|
|100||g||Cheddar cheese ( 200 ml ), grated|
|5||ml||Prepared mustard ( 1 tsp )
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Mix cake flour, whole-wheat flour, salt, sugar and cayenne pepper together. Rub the margarine into the dry ingredients with the fingertips.
Add the Anchor Instant Yeast and mix.
- Add the lukewarm water and beaten egg to the flour mixture to form soft dough and knead the dough until smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface, cover with greased plastic and rest for 10 minutes.
- Line the bottom of a 23 cm-round-cake tin with greaseproof paper and grease the sides.
- Mix the ingredients for the filling together and season to taste.
- Knock the dough down and roll the dough out into 25 x 30 cm shape.
- Spread the filling evenly over the surface of the dough and roll the dough up into a roll. Pinch the seam closed to seal and turn the seam towards the bottom. Cut the roll into 8 equal slices and place the slices, cut side down, into the prepared tin. Place 1 slice in the centre and arrange the remaining 7 slices evenly around.
- Cover with greased plastic and rise in a warm place for 20 – 25 minutes.
- Brush lightly with beaten egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake in a preheated oven 200 °C / 400 °F for 20 – 25 minutes until golden brown. Serve warm or cold.