Makes: 1 Loaf Oven: 200 °C / 400 °F
Preparation Time: 1 hour 40 minutes Baking Time: 35 – 40 minutes
||Cake Flour ( 4 x 250 ml / 4 cups )
||Salt ( 1 tsp )
||Sugar ( 1 tsp )
||Cayenne Pepper ( ½ tsp )
||Chopped Onion ( 2 tbsp )
||Sweetcorn Kernels ( 410 g ), drained
||Cheddar Cheese ( 1 cup ), grated – reserve about 50 ml for the topping
||Anchor Instant Yeast ( 1 packet )
||Warm Water ( ⅔ cup )
||Large Eggs, beaten
- Mix flour, salt, sugar and cayenne pepper together.
- Add the chopped onion, drained kernels and 200 ml grated cheese and mix.
- Add the Anchor Instant Yeast and mix.
- Dissolve the margarine in the warm water and allow to cool. The liquid must rather be too cool than too warm.
- Add the eggs and beat the mixture together
- Add the liquid to the flour mixture and mix until the ingredients are well distributed.
- Cover with greased plastic and allow to rise in a warm place for 20 minutes.
- Knock the dough down and place into a well greased cast iron pot. Even the dough out in the pot and sprinkle with the remaining 50 ml of grated cheese.
- Close the lid and allow to rise in a warm place until double in volume, about 30 – 45 minutes.
- Place the pot next to the fire and arrange the prepared warm coals around the pot. Place 3 – 4 coals on the lid. Should the coals be too warm, move them further away from the pot and remove 1 from the lid. Add again, should the coals get too cold.
- Check the bread from time to time and bake for about 35 – 40 minutes, until golden brown.
- Allow to stand for 10 minutes and turn out. Wrap or cover the bread in a tea towel, until ready for serving.