Makes: 36 Health Rusks Oven: 180 °C / 350 °F
Preparation Time: 2 hours Baking Time: 35 – 40 minutes
||Cake flour ( 8 x 250 ml / 8 cups )
||Whole-wheat flour ( 2 x 250 ml / 2 cups )
||Salt ( 2 tsp )
||Sugar ( 185 ml / ¾ cup )
||Anchor Instant Yeast ( 1 packet )
||Lukewarm buttermilk ( 1½ cups )
||Lukewarm water ( ¾ cup )
||Large eggs, beaten
||Beaten egg, to brush
- Mix the cake and whole-wheat flour, salt and sugar together.
Add the Anchor Instant Yeast and mix.
- Melt the margarine in the lukewarm buttermilk, add the lukewarm water and allow the mixture to cool down until lukewarm.
Add beaten egg.
- Add the liquid to the flour mixture to form a soft dough. Knead the dough until smooth and elastic. Cover with greased plastic and leave to rest for 15 minutes.
- Knock the dough down, divide into 36 equal pieces and roll each piece into a ball.
- Start with the first ball and roll slightly oblong, then place 12 balls into 3 greased 2,5-litre-bread pans.
- Cover with greased plastic and allow to rise in a warm place for
45 minutes, or until well risen in the pan.
- Brush lightly with beaten egg and bake in a preheated oven at
180 ˚C / 350 ˚F for 35 – 40 minutes.
- Allow to cool, break rusks apart and dry out in a cool oven
( 100 ˚C / 210 ˚F ).