Makes: 1 Basic White Bread Oven: 200 °C / 400 °F
Preparation Time: 1 hour 30 minutes Baking Time: 30 – 35 minutes
Nothing beats the smell of home-baked bread, try this bread recipe and you will never buy store-baked bread again.
|500||g||Cake flour ( 4 x 250 ml / 4 cups )|
|10||ml||Salt ( 2 tsp )|
|5||ml||Sugar ( 1 tsp )|
|10||g||Anchor Instant Yeast ( 1 packet )|
|30||g||Margarine ( 2 tbsp )|
|320||ml||Lukewarm water ( ± 1⅓ cups )|
- Mix the cake flour, salt and sugar together. Add the margarine and rub into the flour with the fingertips.
- Add the Anchor Instant Yeast and mix. Add enough lukewarm water to the flour mixture to form a soft dough.
- Knead the dough until smooth and elastic, cover with greased plastic and leave to rest for 5 minutes.
- Knock the dough down, pat into a rectangle, making sure the width is the length of the bread pan.
- Roll the dough up and place seal towards the bottom into a greased 1.5-litre-bread pan OR shape into a shape of your choice and place on a greased baking tray.
- Cover with greased plastic and allow to rise in a warm place until double in volume, about 30 minutes.
- Brush with water and bake in a preheated oven at 200 °C / 400 °F for 30 – 35 minutes.
- Tap the top of the bread with the knuckles, a hollow sound indicates that the bread is baked.