Makes: 1 Carrot Cake Oven: 180 ˚C / 350 °F
Preparation Time: 2 hour 30 minutes Baking Time: 45 – 50 minutes
|375||ml||Oil (1½ cups)|
|250||ml||Brown sugar (1 cup)|
|250||ml||Castor sugar (1 cup)|
|250||ml||Vanilla essence (2 tsp)|
|360||g||Cake flour (3 x 250 ml / 3 cups)|
|10||ml||Salt (2 tsp)|
|10||ml||Cinnamon (2 tsp)|
|10||g||Anchor Instant Yeast (1 packet)|
|750||ml||Carrots, grated (medium size)
(3 x 250 ml / 3 cups)
|250||ml||Dried Fruit Cake Mix (1 x 250 ml / 1 cup)|
|185||ml||Walnuts, chopped (⅓ cup), reserve about 2 tbsp for decoration|
|250||g||Smooth Cream Cheese (1 tub)|
|750||ml||Icing sugar (3 x 250 ml / 3 cups)|
|45||ml||Lemon juice (3 tbsp)|
|10||ml||Vanilla essence (2 tsp)|
- Beat the oil, brown sugar and castor sugar together. Add the vanilla essence and mix.
- Add 6 eggs, one at a time, whilst beating on low speed.
- Mix the flour, salt and cinnamon together. Add the Anchor Instant Yeast and stir through. Sift the flour mixture into the batter mixture. Beat for 2 minutes until well blended.
- Stir in the grated carrot, dried fruit cake mix and walnuts until evenly distributed.
- Pour the batter into 2 x 23 cm greased and lined cake tins. Cover with greased plastic and allow to rise in a warm place until double in size, about 40 – 45 minutes.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 °C / 350 °F for 45 – 50 minutes.
- Remove from the oven. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, turn out onto a cooling rack and remove the lining.
- For the frosting – beat the butter until softened. Add the cream cheese and beat until smooth.
- Add half the icing sugar and beat, then the other half. Add the lemon juice and essence. Mix, cover and refrigerate.
- Once the cakes have cooled, cut each into 2 layers, using a bread knife. Place one layer down, cut side up, and cover the top with icing. Repeat the process until all the layers have been stacked.
- Cover the top with the rest of the icing. Sprinkle with chopped walnuts. Cover and keep cool in the fridge until serving.