Makes: 1 Chocolate Babka Oven: 180 °C / 350 °F
Preparation Time: 1 hour 30 minutes Baking Time: 25 – 30 minutes
|500||g||Cake flour ( 4 x 250 ml / 4 cups )|
|5||ml||Salt ( 1 tsp )|
|60||ml||Sugar ( 4 tbsp )|
|60||g||Margarine ( 4 tbsp )|
|10||g||Anchor Instant Yeast ( 1 packet )|
|125||ml||Lukewarm water ( ½ cup )|
|45||ml||Lukewarm milk ( 3 tbsp )|
|2||Large eggs, beaten|
|120||g||Baking chocolate, melted over boiling water|
|30||ml||Cocoa powder ( 2 tbsp )|
|5||ml||Cinnamon ( 1 tsp )|
|60||ml||Honey ( 4 tbsp )|
- Mix all dry ingredients and rub the margarine into the cake flour. Add the Anchor Instant Yeast and mix.
- Mix the water, milk and eggs together and add to the flour mixture to form a soft dough. Knead the dough well until smooth and elastic, for about 10 minutes.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface, cover with greased plastic and leave to rest for 10 minutes.
- Mix the melted chocolate, cocoa, cinnamon and honey together.
- Knock the dough down and roll on a lightly floured surface, into a rectangle of 35 – 40 cm in length.
- Spread the chocolate mixture over the surface of the rectangle and roll up into a roll, lengthwise.
- Pinch the end together with the fingertips and turn the seal towards the bottom.
- Using a sharp knife – cut the roll down the middle, in half. Turn the cut side up. Seal the top ends together and tuck
in underneath. Take the halves and twist them around each other. Seal the bottom ends together and tuck in underneath.
- Place the Babka into a greased 1.5 litre-bread pan. Cover with
greased plastic and allow to rise in a warm place,
about 25 – 30 minutes.
- Brush lightly with beaten egg and bake in a preheated oven
at 180 ˚C / 350 ˚F for 25 – 30 minutes.
- Brush with the sugar water glaze for a shiny gloss.
Cool and serve.
Sugar Water Glaze
Mix 250 ml ( 1 cup ) sugar and 125 ml ( ½ cup )
water together in a saucepan
and boil over low heat for about
5 minutes, stirring continuously.