Makes: 1 Coffee Cake Oven: 180 °C / 350 °F
Preparation Time: 2 hours 30 minutes Baking Time: 35 – 40 minutes
|45||ml||Instant coffee (3 tbsp)|
|125||ml||Boiling Milk (½ cup)|
|3||ml||Vanilla essence (½ tsp)|
|125||ml||Brown sugar (½ cup)|
|90||ml||Castor sugar (¼ cup + 2 tbsp)|
|180||g||Cake flour (1 x 250 ml + 60 ml / 1½ cups)|
|5||ml||Salt (1 tsp)|
|10||g||Anchor Instant Yeast (1 packet)|
|125||ml||Almond flakes (½ cup)|
Coffee Cream Icing
|5||ml||Instant coffee (1 tsp)|
|30||ml||Boiling water (2 tbsp)|
|310||ml||Fresh cream (1¼ cups)|
|240||g||Icing Sugar (460 ml)
Coffee beans to decorate (optional)
- Dissolve the instant coffee in the boiling milk.
Add the vanilla essence and mix. Set aside to cool down to lukewarm.
- Cream the butter, brown sugar and castor sugar together until light and fluffy. Stir the coffee mixture into the batter.
- Sift the flour, salt and Anchor Instant Yeast together.
- Beat the eggs in, one at a time, alternating with spoons of the flour mixture. Stir in the almond flakes until evenly distributed.
- Pour into 2 x 20 cm greased cake tins. Cover with greased plastic and allow to rise in a warm place until double in volume, about 40 – 45 minutes.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 °C / 350 °F for 35 – 40 minutes. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes and turn out onto a cooling rack.
- Prepare the coffee cream icing by dissolving the instant coffee in the boiling water. Beat the butter until softened. Add the fresh cream and beat on a low speed. Add half the icing sugar whilst beating, and then the rest. Beat until smooth and creamy.
- Divide each of the cakes into 2 layers, cutting it with a bread knife. Place one layer down and spread with some of the coffee cream icing. Repeat until all 4 layers are stacked.
- Ice the top of the cake and then put the rest of the icing into a piping bag. Pipe swirls around the edge of the cake.
- Place a coffee bean on each second swirl. Cover and place in the fridge, until serving.