Makes: 24 Fancy Rolls Oven: 200 °C / 400 °F
Preparation Time: 1 hour 20 minutes Baking Time: 15 – 20 minutes
|500||g||Cake flour ( 4 x 250 ml / 4 cups )|
|10||ml||Salt ( 2 tsp )|
|5||ml||Sugar ( 1 tsp )|
|30||g||Margarine ( 2 tbsp )|
|10||g||Anchor Instant Yeast ( 1 packet )|
|330||ml||Lukewarm water ( ± 1⅓ cups )|
|1||Beaten egg or milk, to brush|
|Seeds, to sprinkle OR
Flour, to dust
- Mix the cake flour, salt and sugar together. Rub the margarine
into the flour with the fingertips.
Add the Anchor Instant Yeast and mix.
- Add the lukewarm water to the flour mixture to form
a soft dough. If the dough is too dry and firm,
add about 10 – 20 ml extra water. The dough must be
soft and pliable.
- Knead the dough well for 10 minutes, until smooth
and elastic. Place the dough on a lightly floured
surface, cover with greased plastic and leave to
rest for 5 minutes.
- Knock the dough down, divide into 24 equal
pieces and shape each piece into a round
ball. Roll each ball into a 25 – 30 cm
strand, hold left end in the left hand
and bring right hand over the left end
making a small loop and leaving a long loose end.
Feed the loose end in and out of the loop until the two
ends meet. Place the ends towards the
- Place the shaped rolls onto a lightly
greased baking tray, cover with greased plastic and rise in
a warm place for about 20 – 25 minutes.
- Brush with beaten egg or milk and sprinkle with seeds,
or simply dust lightly with flour.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 200 °C / 400 °F for
15 – 20 minutes, or until golden brown.