Makes: 1 Cheese & Garlic Christmas Tree Oven: 200 °C / 400 °F
Preparation Time: 1 hour 45 minutes Baking Time: 25 – 30 minutes
|1||kg||Cake flour (8 x 250 ml / 8 cups)|
|15||ml||salt (3 tsp)|
|10||ml||Sugar (2 tsp)|
|10||g||Anchor Instant Yeast (1 packet)|
|625||ml||Lukewarm water (2½ cups)|
|1||Camembert Round Cheese|
|1||Round piece of baking paper|
|10||ml||Crushed garlic (2 tsp)|
|5||ml||Mixed herbs or Parsley (1 tsp)|
|5||ml||Aromat Seasoning (1 tsp)|
|Ground black pepper, to taste
Rosemary sprigs, to garnish
pomegranate pips, to garnish
- Mix all the dry ingredients together. Add the margarine and rub into the flour with the fingertips.. Add the Anchor Instant Yeast and mix.
- Add enough lukewarm water to form a soft dough and knead the dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and dust the top lightly with flour. Cover with a greased plastic and leave to rest for 5 minutes.
- Knock the dough down. Roll the dough up and divide into 24 equal pieces.
- Line a large baking tray with baking paper and set aside. Place the Camembert cheese onto a round piece of baking paper, forming the paper around the sides of the cheese. Set aside.
- To assemble the tree, follow the image as a guide, place dough balls next to each other in a tree-shaped pattern on baking tray. Roll each piece of dough into a round ball and place the first ball, in the middle, at the one end of the baking tray. Place the Camembert Cheese in the middle above the six balls of dough. Then place two balls on either side of the Camembert Cheese. For the next row place one dough ball on either side of the Camembert. Then place five dough balls above the Camembert Cheese, curving them around the cheese.
- Cover with a greased plastic and allow to rise in a warm place until double in volume, about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Mix the butter until soft and add the crushed garlic, mixed herbs, aromat seasoning and pepper to taste.
- Brush the garlic butter onto the risen rolls, taking care to cover all evenly.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 200 °C / 400 °F for 25 – 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Garnish with rosemary sprigs and sprinkle with a few pomegranate pips. Serve warm.