Makes: 10 litres Ginger Beer Preparation Time: 1 hour
How to make refreshing Ginger Beer, an old time favourite with a spicy ginger flavour. A family loved recipe for generations.
|5||ml||Sugar ( 1 tsp )|
|500||ml||Lukewarm water ( 2 x 250 ml / 2 cups )|
|10||g||Anchor Instant Yeast ( 1 packet )|
|700||g||Brown or white sugar ( 875 ml )|
- Dissolve the 5 ml sugar in 500 ml lukewarm water.
Pour the Anchor Instant Yeast into the water and set aside until frothy, about 10 minutes.
- Mix the remaining dry ingredients, brown/white sugar, tartaric acid, ground ginger and cream of tartar with the lukewarm water, together with the activated yeast mixture and stir until well mixed.
- Cover with a damp cloth or cling wrap and leave in a warm place for about 12 hours.
- Strain the mixture through a muslin cloth and pour the beer into bottles with tops. Leave in a cool place for
3 days. Chill before serving.
- Mix sugar, ginger, tartaric acid and cream of tartar in
1 litre of cold water and bring to boil.
- Add 8 litres of lukewarm water to the mixture.
- Add 10 g of Anchor Instant Yeast, leave to cool and put in the fridge, for about 12 hours. Strain and bottle.
As the beer is very fizzy, ensure that the bottles are opened slowly and carefully, allowing the fizz to subside before totally removing the lid. It must be stored in a cool place or else the yeast will ferment too quickly and the bottles will explode
( preferably use plastic bottles ).
|5||ml||Tartaric acid (1 tsp )|
|30||ml||Ground ginger ( 2 tbsp )|
|10||ml||Cream of tartar ( 2 tsp )|