Makes: 1 Easter Ring Oven: 180 °C / 350 °F
Preparation Time: 1 hour and 30 minutes Baking Time: 25 – 30 minutes
|500||g||Cake flour ( 4 x 250 ml / 4 cups )|
|5||ml||Salt ( 1 tsp )|
|75||ml||Sugar ( 5 tbsp )|
|10||ml||Mixed spice ( 2 tsp )|
|60||g||Margarine ( 4 tbsp )|
|10||g||Anchor Instant Yeast ( 1 packet )|
|125||ml||Warm milk ( ½ cup )|
|125||ml||Cold water ( ½ cup )|
|1||Large egg, beaten|
|Soft margarine, to spread|
|45||ml||Cinnamon sugar, to sprinkle ( 3 tbsp )|
|75||g||Dried fruit cake mix ( 125 ml )|
|10||Green cherries, chopped|
|10||Red cherries, chopped|
|Sugar water glaze to brush|
|50||g||Baking chocolate, melted|
|Icing sugar, to sprinkle|
Sugar Water Glaze
Mix 250 ml (1 cup) sugar and 125 ml (½ cup) water together in a saucepan and boil over low heat for about 5 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Mix all dry ingredients together and rub the margarine into the flour with the fingertips. Add the Anchor Instant Yeast and mix.
- Mix warm milk, water and beaten egg together and add enough liquid to form soft dough. Knead the dough well until smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface, cover with greased plastic and rest for 10 minutes.
- Knock the dough down and roll into a rectangle, about 30 x 40 cm. Spread the surface of the dough with soft margarine and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Sprinkle the dried fruit over and dot with chopped green and red cherries. Roll the dough into a roll, lengthwise.
- Shape the roll into a ring, seal the ends together. Place the ring onto a greased baking tray and using a sharp knife cut slits over the top of the ring.
- Cover with greased plastic and rise in a warm place, about 20 – 25 min.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 °C / 350 °F for 25 – 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Brush with sugar water glaze, cool and drizzle with melted chocolate. Dust with icing sugar.
Painted hard boiled eggs or chocolate eggs can be placed in the centre when served. Decorate with mint sprigs and edible flowers.