Makes: 24 Vetkoek Oil Temperature: 160 ˚C
Preparation Time: 1 hour 30 minutes Frying Time: 1 hour
|1||kg||Cake or Bread flour ( 8 x 250 ml / 8 cups )|
|15||ml||Salt ( 3 tsp )|
|60||ml||Sugar ( 4 tbsp )|
|60||g||Margarine ( 4 tbsp )|
|10||g||Anchor Instant Yeast ( 1 packet )|
|625||ml||Lukewarm water ( ± 2½ cups )
Oil, for frying
- Mix the cake or bread flour, salt and sugar together and rub the margarine into the flour, with the fingertips.
Add the Anchor Instant Yeast and mix.
- Add the lukewarm water to the flour mixture to form a soft dough. Add a little more water, if necessary. Knead the dough until smooth and elastic. Cover with greased plastic and rest for 10 minutes.
- Knock the dough down and roll into a roll. Cut into 24 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a ball and place them
onto a well, greased tray – in order to be able to lift the risen balls.
- Cover with greased plastic and allow to rise in a warm place for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, pour oil into a large saucepan, about ⅓ filled. Heat the oil for about 5 minutes before the frying time. Place a piece of dough into the oil to test the heat. (Slight bubbles around the dough, is an indication that the oil has warmed enough to be used).
- When the oil is ready, lift a risen ball carefully and place it into the warm oil –with the risen side (top) going in
first, which will cause the flat side (bottom) to rise and puff out to make a round Vetkoek. Allow to colour on the one side for about 5 minutes and turn. Fry for a further 5 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oil with a draining spoon and drain on paper towel or brown paper.
Serve with sliced Polony.
Serve with White Liver slices and Atchar.
Serve with mashed Avocado,
when in season.