Makes: 1 Cheese & Corn Pot Bread Oven: 200 °C / 400 °F
Preparation Time: 1 hour 40 minutes Baking Time: 35 – 40 minutes
|500||g||Cake flour ( 4 x 250 ml / 4 cups )|
|5||ml||Salt ( 1 tsp )|
|5||ml||Sugar ( 1 tsp )|
|3||ml||Cayenne pepper ( ½ tsp )|
|30||ml||Chopped onion ( 2 tbsp )|
|410||g||Tin whole kernel corn, drained and reserve about 50 ml of kernel water|
|250||ml||Cheddar cheese ( 1 cup ), grated|
|10||g||Anchor Instant Yeast ( 1 packet )|
|60||g||Margarine ( 4 tbsp)|
|160||ml||Warm water ( ⅔ cup )|
|2||Large eggs, beaten|
- Mix the cake flour, salt, sugar and cayenne pepper together. Add the chopped onion, drained kernel corn
and grated cheese and mix. Add the Anchor Instant Yeast and mix.
- Dissolve the margarine in the warm water and add the reserved kernel water, allow to cool down. The liquid must rather be cooler than too warm.
- Add the eggs and beat the mixture together.
- Add the liquid to the flour mixture and mix until the ingredients are well distributed.
- Cover with greased plastic and allow
to rise in a warm place for 20 minutes.
- Knock the dough down and place
into a well greased cast iron pot.
Even the dough neatly into
the pot and sprinkle with
50 ml of grated cheese.
- Close with the lid and allow to rise in a warm place
until double in volume, about 30 – 45 minutes.
- Place the pot on a solid cast iron plate and arrange
prepared warm coals around the pot and place
3 – 4 coals on the lid. Should the coals be too warm, move
coals further away from the pot and remove 1 from
the top of lid. Add hot coals, should the coals be too
- Check from time to time and bake for about
35 – 40 minutes, until golden brown.
- Allow to stand for 10 minutes and turn out. Wrap or
cover in a tea towel, until ready for serving.
Allow to rise in a warm place as per above. Bake in a
preheated oven at 200 °C / 400 °F for 35 – 40 minutes or
until golden brown. Stand in the pot to cool and turn out
Make little pot breads or mini loaves but reduce the
baking time to 10 – 12 minutes.