Makes: 1 Large Steam Bread / Dombolo or 2 Medium Breads / Dombolo Steaming Time: 1 hour
Preparation Time: 2 hours Steaming Temperature: Plate setting – no 2 – 3
|1||kg||Cake flour ( 8 x 250 ml / 8 cups )|
|10||ml||Salt ( 2 tsp )|
|10||ml||Sugar ( 2 tsp )|
|60||g||Margarine ( 4 tbsp )|
|10||g||Anchor Instant Yeast ( 1 packet )|
|625||ml||Lukewarm water ( 2½ cups )|
- Mix flour, salt and sugar together. Add the margarine and rub into the flour with the fingertips. Add the Anchor Instant Yeast and mix.
- Add enough lukewarm water to the flour mixture to form a soft dough. Add about 20 – 30 ml extra water, should it be necessary. The dough must not be too stiff.
- Knead the dough for 10 minutes, until smooth and elastic. Cover with greased plastic and leave to rest for 5 minutes.
- Knock the dough down, roll into a round ball and place into a large, greased enamel dish, OR Divide the dough in half, make 2 rounds and place them into 2 greased enamel dishes to make 2 medium Steam breads / Dombolo.
- Cover with greased plastic and allow to rise in a warm place until double in volume, about 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, pour water into a large saucepan – filled a third of the way. Bring the water to boil. Make sure the enamel dish does fit into the saucepan.
- Once the dough has risen in the dish, place the enamel dish into the prepared boiling water. Cover with the lid, making sure the lid is dry. Steam for 1 hour and 30 minutes, or until cooked. Don’t lift the lid during the steaming time, as the dough will collapse.
- Carefully lift the cooked Steam bread / Dombolo out of the saucepan onto a cooling rack. Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Loosen the sides with a knife and turn out onto a cooling rack. Cool before slicing.
Serve slices of Steam bread / Dombolo with your favourite stew, together with cooked green beans, pumpkin and potato salad.