Makes: 2 round Beetroot Breads Oven: 200 °C / 400 °F
Preparation Time: 1 hour 40 minutes Baking Time: 25 – 30 minutes
This Beetroot Bread, from our collection of Bread Making recipes is nutritious and ideal for a healthy breakfast or brunch snack.
|500||g||Cake flour ( 4 x 250 ml / 4 cups )|
|10||ml||Salt ( 2 tsp )|
|5||ml||Sugar ( 1 tsp )|
|45||g||Margarine ( 3 tbsp )|
|10||g||Anchor Instant Yeast ( 1 packet )|
|300||ml||Lukewarm water ( approx. 1¼ cups )|
|125||ml||Cooked, grated beetroot ( ½ cup ) ( ± 2 beetroots )|
Cook beetroots in the microwave oven, by placing the fresh beetroots in a microwave-proof bowl with 60 ml (1/4 cup) water. Cover with plastic wrap. Pierce the plastic with a sharp knife. Microwave at 100 % power (high) for 3 to 5 minutes. Leave to stand for 2 minutes. Beetroots are sufficiently cooked when soft in the centre. Leave to cool.
- Mix all dry ingredients together, then rub the margarine into the flour with the fingertips.
Add the Anchor Instant Yeast and mix.
- Add enough lukewarm water to form a soft dough and knead the dough well until smooth and elastic, about
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface, cover with greased plastic and leave to rest for 5 minutes.
- Knock the dough down and divide into 2 equal pieces. Work the grated beetroot into one piece of dough, until well distributed.
- Divide the white and the red pieces into 2 equal pieces and then work the two colours together for a marbled effect. Do not over-mix.
- Shape each piece into a round ball, place onto a greased baking tray and dust with flour. Cut slits on top for a fancy pattern.
- Cover with greased plastic and allow to rise in a warm place until double in volume, about 25 – 30 minutes.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 200 °C / 400 °F for
25 – 30 minutes, or until golden brown.