Makes: 18 Hot Cross Buns Oven: 180 °C / 350 °F
Preparation Time: 1 hour 30 minutes Baking Time: 20 – 25 minutes
|500||g||Cake flour ( 4 x 250 ml / 4 cups )|
|5||ml||Salt ( 1 tsp )|
|60||ml||Sugar ( 4 tbsp )|
|3||ml||Mixed spice ( ½ tsp )|
|3||ml||Nutmeg ( ½ tsp )|
|5||ml||Cinnamon ( 1 tsp )|
|10||g||Anchor Instant Yeast ( 1 packet )|
|155||ml||Warm milk ( ½ cup + 2 tbsp )|
|1||Large egg, beaten|
|125||ml||Lukewarm water ( ½ cup )|
|150||g||Dried fruit cake mix ( 250 ml / 1 cup )|
|120||g||Cake flour ( 1 x 250 ml / 1 cup )|
|3||ml||Salt ( ½ tsp )|
|45||ml||Oil ( 3 tbsp )|
|155||ml||Milk ( ½ cup + 2 tbsp )
Beaten egg, to brush
Sugar water, to glaze
- Mix the flour, salt, sugar and spices together. Add the
Anchor Instant Yeast and mix.
- Melt the margarine in the warm milk and cool slightly. Add the milk mixture to the dry ingredients, together with the beaten egg and enough lukewarm water to form soft dough.
- Knead the dough well for
10 minutes until smooth and elastic. Cover with greased plastic and rest for 10 minutes.
- Knock the dough down and work the dried fruit in, whilst kneading. Divide the dough into 18 equal pieces.
- Shape each piece into a bun and place on a greased baking tray. Cover with greased plastic and rise in a warm place, about
25 – 30 minutes.
- Mix the flour, salt, oil and milk, for the topping, together until smooth. Mixture should be fairly thin to pipe, but thick enough to hold shape.
- Brush the buns with beaten egg and pipe a cross over each bun.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 °C / 350 °F for
20 – 25 minutes.
- Glaze the buns with sugar water, whilst hot.