Makes: 30 – 40 Mandazi Oil Temperature: 160 °C
|500||g||Cake flour ( 4 x 250 ml / 4 cups )|
|5||ml||Salt ( 1 tsp )|
|15||ml||Sugar ( 2 tbsp )|
|30||g||Oil ( 2 tbsp )|
|10||g||Anchor Instant Yeast ( 1 packet )|
|300||ml||Lukewarm water ( 2½ cups )|
|750||ml||Oil, for frying ( 1 x small bottle )
Paper towel/brown paper
|250||g||Sliced Polony, or any other cold meat of
your choice ( 1 cup )
|250||ml||Grated cheddar cheese ( 1 cup )|
|60||ml||Chakalaka / Atchar mix ( ¼ cup )|
- Mix the flour, salt and sugar together.
- Add the Anchor Instant Yeast and mix through with the flour mixture.
- Mix the oil and water together and add to the flour mixture to form a soft dough.
- Knead the dough for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface,cover with greased plastic and leave to rest for 10 minutes.
- Prepare the filling ingredients and mix together. Start to warm the oil slowly and ensure that it does not get too hot. Remove from the heat.
- Knock the dough down and roll the dough out on a lightly sprinkled flour surface to 3 mm thickness.The dough
must be quite thin.
- Cut the dough into 15 cm – 20 cm strips and cut triangles out of each strip.
- Drop the triangles into the warm oil, fry for 3 min. on the one side and turn over. Fry for 3 min. on the other side.
Remove and drain on paper towel or brown paper.
- Once cooled, cut the triangle open on one side and fill with the prepared filling. The triangle should be hollow to fill.
Any filling of your choice can be used.