Makes: 1 Dutch Oven Bread Oven: 230 °C / 450 °F
Preparation Time: 1 hour 45 minutes Baking Time: 45 – 50 minutes
||Cake Flour (4 x 250ml / 4 cups)
||Salt (1 x 5 ml + 1 x 1 ml / 1¼ tsp)
||Sugar (2 tsps)
||Butter or Margarine
||Anchor Instant Yeast (1 packet)
||Lukewarm Water (1⅓ cups)
- Mix the cake flour, salt and sugar together. Add the butter/margarine and rub into the flour with the fingertips.
- Add the Anchor Instant Yeast and mix. Add enough lukewarm water to the flour mixture to form a soft dough. Knead the dough until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface, cover with greased plastic and allow to rest for 20 minutes, or until double in size.
- Knock the dough down and shape the dough into a round shape. Transfer the dough onto baking paper, cover with greased plastic and allow to rise in a warm place until double in volume, about 30 minutes.
- In the meantime place a 5.2 litre Dutch Oven, with the lid, into a preheated oven of 230 °C / 450 °F to heat up.(A Dutch Oven is a round cast iron casserole dish that is oven friendly).
- Before baking, score the dough by making a 5 mm deep cut through the middle on the top of the dough.
- Once the Dutch Oven is hot, remove it from the oven, using oven gloves. Remove the lid and carefully place the risen bread on the baking paper, into the dish. Cover with the lid to bake.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, remove the lid and bake for a further 15 – 20 minutes.
- Once baked, the bread should be crisp and golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the Dutch Oven for 15 minutes. Brush with melted butter and cool completely. Enjoy!